Oncology Rehab is now partnering with Akasha Mind-Body Wellness to offer monthly meditation classes. Classes include instruction on various meditation techniques, followed by time to meditate using the technique learned that night. Since it began in July, we have covered the body’s physiological response to meditation, guided imagery, and mindfulness. Attend all classes, or just come when you are able.
Studies show the effectiveness of meditation in reducing stress, blood pressure, anxiety and depression, while increasing immune function, feelings of well-being, and pain relief. It is also effective in improving clinical conditions of cancer treatment symptoms, chronic pain, PTSD, and insomnia.
The classes meet on the 4th Tuesday of every month from 7:00-8:00pm at Oncology Rehab and are $25 per class. They are open to Oncology Rehab clients, caretakers, or anyone else who has an interest in learning and practicing meditation.
One does not need to be a client of Oncology Rehab to participate. Sign up in advance at www.akashamindbodywellness.com, or just pay at the door.
All classes are taught by Megan Koepsell, RN, BSN, HTP, a nurse with a passion for holistic health and certification in Mind-Body Medicine. For questions, please contact Megan at mindbodyRN111@gmail.com, or call 303-906-4536.
Oncology Rehab has a very special opportunity to share with you. We started working with the nonprofit organization, Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC), when they first brought their signature fund raiser, Yoga on the Steps, to Cheesman Park in 2012. Since then, Oncology Rehab has had a team of yoga “warriors” each year represented at the event and has participated in many of their community outreach programs. The mission of LBBC to "connect people with trusted breast cancer information and a community of support" just makes sense to us here at OR, and we formed a natural alliance with an organization such as theirs. To find out more about the organization please visit their website: LBBC.org This year, LBBC is going even further in their support of the Denver community. They are bringing their annual conference to our home town. Oncology Rehab is very excited to be a part of Wellness Weekend, September 18 – 20, 2015 in Denver, CO for a weekend dedicated to you. Wellness Weekend brings together LBBC’s annual fall conference, Breast Cancer Today: Individual Treatments, Shared Experiences and Yoga on the Steps: Denver for three days of connection, information and inspiration.
They are also inviting all Oncology Rehab patients to participate with a special promotional code to attend the conference for free. Just use promotional code "OCguest" when registering as an early-bird participant.
Over the course of the weekend, you will:
- Gain tips and advice on eating well, living well, and finding empowerment and resiliency after a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Learn from medical experts about the latest topics in breast cancer like Genetic Testing, Research and Treatment Updates, Managing Side Effects and more...
- Connect with others who have similar experiences by following one of our conference tracks or attending the welcome reception, networking breaks or other social outings like our film night with Rethink Breast Cancer or going to the ballpark to see the Colorado Rockies with new friends.
- Find balance and inspiration. Share in a community of collective strength by participating in an all-levels outdoor yoga class on Sunday morning in beautiful Cheesman Park.
- If you plan to join, please consider joining the Oncology Rehab Warriors. Simply go to the link for "join a team" and scroll down to find our team name to join. Several of our therapists will be representing OR on the team, and we hope to have our biggest representation yet this year!
To learn more about the conference sessions and the special activities during the weekend, visit lbbc.org/fallconference. Remember that even if you can only participate in the conference Friday evening/Saturday or the yoga event Sunday, it is sure to be a wonderful use of your time. We hope to see you for the whole weekend’s festivities!